Landlocked, with Russia to the north and China to the south, Mongolia is a land whose people once shaped history by building a great empire that would stretch far beyond its own borders. Although the fierce warriors and leaders of this land would change the world, the world did not change the Mongolian people. Those who embark on Mongolia travel will soon find the ancient traditions that gave rise to the great Khans of the past continue in many parts of the country to this day. Strongly connected to their proud history, many people continue to lead their lives living off the land, embracing their nomadic heritage.
It is the very uniqueness of the people and the rugged geography they call home that makes tours to Mongolia a dream for many from all parts of the world. Preparing to go trekking in Mongolia, while immersing in the culture, however, does take careful planning to ensure a trip packed with adventure. These steps can help prepare people who want to take trips to Mongolia in making the dream come true:
- Research the land, its people and culture – Mongolia is a vast land that covers more than 603,000 square miles. The rugged geography includes upland steppes, deserts and high mountain ranges. Considering its vastness and diversity, a holiday in Mongolia must often be carefully planned to ensure a tour hits the landmarks and highpoints a guest desires to see. Researching the land, its culture and points of interest can help guests select or design tours that are most appropriate for delivering the type of experiences they’d like to enjoy.
- Consider the climate – If more intense adventure tours are the plan for Mongolia holidays, it can be quite important to keep climate considerations in mind. The country features a continental climate, which means winters are long and summers rather short. Booking a Mongolia horse trek in the middle of winter might appeal to some, but others may find the warmer summer more suitable for their enjoyment. Just understand what to expect from the climate and scenery when booking a timeframe for the trip to ensure the most enjoyable experience.
- Explore tour options – Trekking in Mongolia with an eye on experiencing this distinct culture first-hand will deliver memories to last a lifetime. It is strongly recommended, however, that people refrain from going it alone. If the plan is to visit nomadic people where they live and experience life in a yurt, guided tours to Mongolia are advised. Seeking out companies that offer Mongolia trekking tours that bring years of experience and intense local knowledge to the table is just plain smart. The best tour operators have natives at their helm to ensure guests enjoy the most authentic experience possible while breaking down any language or cultural barriers that may stand in the way.
- Begin budgeting and looking into travel requirements – Mongolia travel is not as expensive as some might think, but saving may be in order. While putting money way to book an adventure, it is also a good time to make sure any necessary travel documents are in order. Travel to Mongolia does not require a visa for citizens of many countries, but some will find it a requirement. Passports, however, are necessary. It is best to check with native country government authorities to find out what documentation is required for travel to Mongolia.
- Book the trip – Once finances and documentation are in order, it’s time to make the final booking selection. Companies that offer tours to Mongolia are likely to provide a diversity of itinerary options. Keep the original research in mind when making a final selection. If a custom schedule is desired, some tours to Mongolia allow this, as well. Just be sure the tour company selected delivers local knowledge, professionalism and flexibility with its tours. Those that offer a diversity of itinerary plans that include opportunities to experience the nomadic lifestyle are often best positioned to ensure guests have a wonderful time throughout the journey. It may also be wise to consider working with companies that refrain from outsourcing ground operations within Mongolia. The best tours are led by companies that take an active role every step of the way.
- Prepare for the adventure – Packing for an adventure to Mongolia will likely be just a bit different than getting ready for a trip elsewhere. Since many opt to experience this land and its sights like natives do, consider the demands of horse riding in Mongolia when packing bags. It’s best to pack for the weather anticipated and the ruggedness of the excursion. Packing light is smart, but don’t overlook important items, such as necessary medications, a camera, durable shoes and an empty bag to bring home any souvenirs picked up along the way.
Going on a Mongolia horse trek to see the land that gave birth to a great empire is a dream for many. Making that dream come true simply requires time to prepare, plan and find the right companies to guide Mongolia travel.